YELLOW PEAR TOMATO JAM
Marie found this unusual recipe in The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest by Carol W. Costenbader.
4 c sugar
1. In a 6-quart saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until the syrup reaches 234 F on a cooking thermometer.
2. Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, mixing well. The syrup may change consistency, but continue stirring and eventually the tomatoes will mix evenly.
3. Return to the heat and add the chiles, basil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, on very low heat until the mixture thickens, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir often, being careful not to burn. The jam will darken.
4. Ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Cap and seal.
5. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water-bath canner.